Parents/guardians of juniors taking part in cricket matches and training are expected to ensure that they and their child/children adhere to the Junior Code of Conduct and Club Rule, and abide by the fair codes as set out below.
As a parent/guardian I will
- Remember that my child plays sport for his or her enjoyment, not mine.
- Encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility
- Offer praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
- Never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing competitions.
- Applaud good plays/performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
- Never question the umpire’s judgment or honesty.
- Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s sporting events.
- Respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to provide sport activities for my child.
- Assist the coaches at home matches by being welcoming to the opposition.
- Notify the coach of an anticipated absence well in advance, whenever possible
- Ensure my child is at the field ready for no less than 10 minutes before the start time
- Ensure my child has proper footwear, sun protection and sportswear, not necessarily cricket clothing, for practices
- Ensure my child wears appropriate clothing for training/matches.*
- Encourage my child to thank coaches and umpires after the match and to shake hands with the opposition
As a parent/guardian I will not
- Force my child to participate in cricket.
- Coach from the boundary
- Criticise other players of either side, nor their parents or officials
If parents/guardians or players cannot follow these guidelines, the coach or the Club may take any one or all of the following steps:
- Warn the parent/guardian/player about their behaviour; have them re-read the Code of Conduct/Club Rules
- Ask the parent/guardian to no longer attend games and practices
- Reduce the playing time of the player; and/or remove the child from the team.
* Should your child not have cricket clothing other white clothing may be worn for matches. Please speak to coaches if you have concerns about protective equipment.